For busy families having access to healthy snacks is very important! But with so many different snack foods on the market, what are the best options? And which will fill us up without filling us out? Here’s my top 10 list of best snacks!
1. Whole grain toast with banana and peanut or almond butter
2. String cheese and sliced apples
3. Air popped popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese
4. Raw vegetables with hummus (or any favorite salad dressing)
5. Berries and low fat Greek yogurt (try a fruit flavored version to ease kids into the flavor and texture)
6. Ants-on-a-log with cream cheese and raisins
7. Whole grain tortilla pinwheels with nitrate free chicken or turkey slices, lettuce, tomato and pesto
8. Granola bars (Kashi, Lara and Gnu are my favorites)
9. Plain oatmeal (instant or old fashioned) made with milk or water, with fruit and
sweetened with honey or maple syrup
10. Four bite pizzas (made with a whole grain pita, sandwich thin or flatbread, jarred tomato sauce and your kids’ favorite toppings)
About the Author:
Megan Wolf is a New York City based Registered Dietitian and the owner of Megan Wolf Nutrition LLC, a nutrition counseling and consulting private practice. She holds a Masters degree in Clinical Nutrition from New York University. She is a speaker, an avid cook, recipe creator and writer for her blog, The Domesticated Wolf, and a proud former Sensible Sitter. You can follow her on social media for more recipe inspiration and healthy living ideas: Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.